Thursday, August 27, 2009

The post

Our Dearest Claire ~

I want to start with a promise, I promise you that the world isn't as cruel as it seems to be right now. The world is actually full of absolutely amazing and phenomenal things that will do nothing less for you than confuse, contort, mystify, amaze, amuse, and down right make you cry with every ounce of emotion you can muster.

We have been there from the beginning, through every tear and every ounce of fear and pain you've had to endure, your mom and I will always be there. You have shown us the true meaning of strength and perseverance, never wavering and always fighting to see what happens next. Next Saturday you will be 12 weeks old, and as much as I hate to admit it I remember the minutes and seconds when we all, most especially you, fought for 12 hours old. You made that goal, and then it was 12 days, then 3 weeks, and now almost 3 months later we're looking forward to 3 years. I have no doubt that all the goals you set in life will be conquered and reset in much the same stride as your first 3 months.

It won't be like this for long, I promise it will be a memory held close to everyone's chest before we know it. We do have a long road to travel, but soon enough we'll be going to the zoo, and museums, and baseball games. Even sooner after that you'll be riding your first bike, climbing your first mountains, and watching your first elk walk across the street in Estes Park. There will be tough days ahead, there is no doubt about that, but those days will be the bread crumbs of your life. Someday you'll follow them back to the very first day and see the truth in the quote "What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger." We all follow that mantra, but few have the experience to truly live it.

Claire, I have never seen a miracle and can't always believe in them, but if I were to define what a miracle means to me, the definition would simply be "You." I have seen many amazing things in life so far and am sure to see more, you have undoubtedly plucked the brass ring permanently from the rest of my life. You've given me a sense of the world, you've shown me how fragile it can be and how much you have to love it in order for it to make any sense. One of my favorite quotes of all time happened just this year from an amazing man, Coach Don Meyer. He has shared your path in his own life, overcoming great odds at even greater torture. I hope that these words ring in your head for many years to come as they are in mine;

"Peace is not the absence of trouble, trials, and torment...but calm in the midst of them" ~ Coach Don Meyer

You have proven those words to be truth down to their very root, you have lived those words, and I know you will continue to do so. I look forward to the days ahead of us, no matter how they happen to unfold, we will all be there with you and for you should you ever need our strength, as I know we will need yours.

Day in and day out forever, Claire, you are everything to us. The days of joy and happiness are there on the road ahead of us, it may be hard to see them right now, but I promise that it won't be like this for long. Happiness isn't always supposed to be easy, right now we wrestle every ounce of it out of any situation we can. You are the reason that is possible.

You are our love, our heart, our one and only sunshine, and our reason to believe in hope.

Love unconditional and unending,
Daddy and Mommy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FPI8gV2A60


No comments:

Post a Comment